Adding a custom token using MyEtherWallet

Now that you have a wallet and know how to check the balance using MyEtherWallet, you can try adding a custom Ethereum token!  To be clear, we will be adding a token someone has already created on the Ethereum blockchain, not creating a brand new token.

Head on over to MyEtherWallet and go to the ‘View Wallet Info‘ section.  Unlock your wallet and then follow the steps below.  If you are unsure about this process, refer back to theChecking your Ethereum Wallet Balancepost!

Adding a Custom Token

1.  Click the ‘Add Custom Token‘ button

2. You should be prompted to enter 3 pieces of information: Token Contract Address, Token Symbol, and Decimals

3.  For this example, I am using a token that was mistakenly created a while back since it won’t be a default in MyEtherWallet.  The token information should be provided by the company that issued the token.  The details for this example are below in case you want to follow along!  Note that if you try to add a Token that MyEtherWallet already has you will see a pop-up that says “This token is already added as a default token.  Try clicking the “Load Tokens” button to see it. :)”

> Token Contract Address: 0x65B9D9B96bccE0b89d807413E4703D2C7451593a

> Token Symbol: TKNC (this can actually be almost anything you want!)

> Decimals: 8

4.  After entering the above information, click ‘Save‘!  You should see MyEtherWallet start to load all of the tokens and your custom token should appear with a ‘minus’ beside it as shown below.

Summary

This is an extremely easy and quick process.  The hardest part is probably finding the information needed to add the Token, but most companies will make it available on their website or a social media channel.  Time to go start collecting!  If you are looking for a good exchange to get more tokens at, check out my Binance review and KuCoin review!

Check out this post for adding custom tokens to MetaMask.

Let me know if you have any issues and I will be glad to help!

27 Comments

1. prashant

hey,
    i want to add custom tokens like ADA, NXT, DCT token to myetherwallet please guide me
    i dont have details to add them on ERC20

regards,
    prashant trivedi

• Chris McCoy

Hey Prashant,

Those are not able to be added since they are not Ethereum tokens. The tokens mentioned all reside on their own blockchains, so you would need to find the wallets that pertain to their blockchains. Let me know if that helps or if you need more information.

Thanks,
      Chris

2. Marius

Hello. I have TRX (tron) tokens to Binance and i want to transfer this tokens from Binance to myetherwallet. How i do that step by step? Thank you.

3. chuck

Chris,

Good info. Thank you. I have gotten this far several times using MEW and Trezor. I can add and then see my new token on the side bar, but when I look in my wallet the new token and balance is not there. So I start over – add new token, see the balance on sidebar, then – what? How do I see it in My Trezor?

• Chris McCoy

Hey Chuck,

Thanks and glad the info is helpful. I would check to make sure you have version 1.5.0 (although I think there is a newer one), as this one enabled ERC-20 tokens. However, this will only display ‘recognized’ tokens, which can be found here: https://github.com/trezor/trezor-mcu/blob/master/firmware/ethereum_tokens.c . From what I have read, it seems like anything not in that list will only display when using MEW. This post from Trezor provides a little more detail on their ERC-20 token support: https://blog.trezor.io/trezor-firmware-updated-to-1-5-0-7a402d3e9f89

Let me know if that helps. I’m not as familiar with Trezor, but would like to do some write-ups on them.

Thanks,
      Chris

4. Neil F

I have a cold storage wallet (MEW on a live ubuntu usb stick). I want to add some tokens to the wallet – does the above process work for a wallet that is not internet connected? Since I copied MEW to the wallet before the tokens were mine, I don’t understand how it could ‘know’ the tokens are mine even if I give it the details available from etherscan.io… Can you please clarify?
    Thanks
    Neil

• Chris McCoy

Hey Neil,

Yes, because the holdings of the wallet are recorded on the Ethereum blockchain, regardless if the wallet is connected or not. As a real world example, think about someone sending a direct deposit to your bank account. You do not need to be signed into your bank account to receive funds. The transaction happens behind the scenes and is recorded by both banks. After it’s done, you can use their online banking platform to login and see the money in your account. MEW is basically the online banking platform. You can send to your wallet address without it being connected to the internet, and then just “login” to MEW whenever you want to see the balances.

Hope that makes sense and answers your questions. Let me know if it wasn’t and I would be glad to clarify more!

• Neil F

Hey Chris,
        Thanks for the reply! I can imagine how what you’ve described works for a wallet that is connected to the web because the banks in the analogy get to talk with each other. I can see my tokens and Eth balance on the blockchain, but have still failed to get the balances to show in the wallet itself. When I tried to add the tokens to the offline wallet it (latest version) it just says ‘loading’ next to the token name – seemingly it wants to connect to the net? Admittedly I only waited 30sec or so, but it was going nowhere fast… There doesn’t seem to be a way of generating data (similar to the offline ‘send from wallet’ procedure) that would tell the offline wallet that there were now tokens in my name on the blockchain… thanks for any additional help 🙂

• Chris McCoy

Awesome, the fact they show on the blockchain is great. I have had issues with the “Load Tokens” part before and it did take a minute or 2 to load. Sometimes it is near instant, but it might be worth trying again and letting it sit for a few minutes. The loading should be MEW going out to the blockchain to check your wallet’s associated balance with that token.

Let me know if it loads after a couple of minutes because I am curious now. Might end up being another write up or a nice addition to this one!

• Neil F

Sorry mate, maybe I wasn’t clear. The wallet is offline and can’t talk to the internet…

• Chris McCoy

That’s fine, because it’s really the key store file being stored offline. The address of the wallet, which is what Ethereum allocates tokens to, is always online (assuming there are nodes running).

I think the important thing to remember is that MEW isn’t using the USB stick for balances. It is checking the keystore file, which let’s it know that you are the owner of the wallet. Once it validates this, it goes out to the Ethereum blockchain and runs a query to pull back balances associated with the address tied to that private key.

5. Peter

Thank you for this clear information.
    I have recently bought some tokens using Fiat Money and when the sale ends in a few days time, the company issuing will buy the ETH to complete the purchase om my behalf.
    At this stage they have requested a Public Address to send the Tokens to and I am assuming I can send
    a new downloaded address from my Trezor linked MEW to facilitate this.
    Is this the correct address to use please.
    If so is that public address designed to receive both ETH or Tokens initially or do I need to create
    a different address purely for the receipt of Tokens.
    Please advise.

• Chris McCoy

Thanks and glad you found it helpful! I have not personally used a Trezor, but if you are able to access the address through MEW then it will be fine.

The address is allowed to receive both, so you can store ETH and a variety of other Ethereum based tokens at the same address. You can think of it like a ‘real’ wallet that you put multiple gift cards in. Each gift card pertains to a different company, but you store them in the same wallet.

• Peter

Hi Chris,

Thanks for clarifying that.

I am looking at an ICO called Hut34 which sends an ERC20 token to the public address in Eth as I mentioned
        previously so I guess it will land OK.

You can have a look at it here… https://hut34.io/entropySale

Best

Peter

• Chris McCoy

Hey Peter,

No problem, and yeah it will land fine. The only ETH address you can’t really use for ICOs is one from an exchange like Coinbase, Kraken, Bittrex, etc. Even then the tokens actually make it to the address, it’s just that the exchanges aren’t setup to support them and they also control the private keys to the account.

And thanks for sharing that ICO, going to look into it today!

• Peter

Hi Chris,
            I have Airprops, if that’s the correct term, which have been added to my MEW ICO listings and wondered if they have any value.
            They are..Zenon (XNN), Viully (VIU) and StreamR (Data).

• Chris McCoy

Hello Peter,

Close, tokens that randomly appear in your wallet, or ones given out for free, are considered air drops. The 3 you mention do have some value. Here are links to their market information:

Zenon – https://coinmarketcap.com/currencies/xenon/ ($0.05)
            Viully – https://coinmarketcap.com/currencies/viuly/ ($0.01)
            StreamR – https://coinmarketcap.com/currencies/streamr-datacoin/ ($0.13)

Hope that helps and let me know if you have any other questions!

6. Jan Zac

Hello ,

I saw your tweets and thought I will check your website to find more information.
    I’m also interested in this topic and have recently started my journey as young entrepreneur.
    Maybe you can adivise me.
    I’m looking for the ways on how to promote my website. Was thinking about starting using analytics. Do you recommend it?
    Can you recommend something what works best for you?

I also want to improve SEO of my website. Maybe you can have a look at my website and give me an advice what I should change: http://janzac.com/

I have subscribed to your newsletter. 🙂

Hope to hear to you soon.

Regards
    Jan Zac

7. Jan Zac

Hello ,

Maybe you can adivise me.
    I’m looking for the ways on how to promote my website. Was thinking about starting using anaytics. Do you recommend it?
    Can you recommend something what works best for you?

I have subscribed to your newsletter. 🙂

Hope to hear to you soon.

Regards
    Jan Zac

8. discover

I’m gone to cоnvey my littlе brother, thаt he should also go to
    see this weblog on regular basis to get ᥙpdated from latest reports.

9. Luca Spinelli

Este e o que e un contido de valor. 🙂

10. Cruzifer

is it possible to delete custom tokens? i added one which was allready there…now they are doubled and i fear that my tokens get messed up by this.

• Chris McCoy

Yep, you just have to select the minus sign beside one of them. Don’t worry, the values are stored on the Ethereum Blockchain and that minus sign only interacts with the user interface aspect of MEW.

11. KJ

Every time I open my wallet I have to add the same custom token in order to see my balance. Is there a way to Save the info so the token stays visible all of the time?

• Chris McCoy

Hmm, it should automatically save. I added one this morning and just checked and it is still showing up. If you don’t mind me asking, what token is it?

Submit a Comment